Politehnica University Timisoara

The Centenary of Romanian Energy at UPT

 
 
The Centenary of Romanian Energy at UPT

symposium organized by Faculty of Electrical and Power Engineering

25 September 2018

 

 

 

 

 

The conference center of Politehnica University Timişoara hosted on September 25, 2018, the symposium "The Centenary of Romanian Energy", an event organized by UPT's Faculty of Electrical and Power Engineering in collaboration with the Timişoara branches of the Romanian Power Engineers' Society, respectively the Academy of Science People in Romania.

During the event, which was moderated by prof. eng. Stefan Kilyeni, PhD, and eng. Nicolae Chiosa, PhD, "The Centenary of Romanian Energy" (Prof. Victor Vaida), "Electricity Production in Banat 1918-2018" (Eng. Dan Reghis), "Transport and Distribution of Electricity in Banat 1918- 2018 "(eng. Nicolae Chiosa, PhD)," Electrical Power Education at Politehnica Timisoara "(Prof. eng. Stefan Kilyeni, PhD).

The symposium presented a series of interesting facts about the origins and development of the Romanian power system, the production, transport and distribution of electric power, as well as about the electrical and electro-energetic education, where in Timisoara and UPT there was registered a series of awards. Thus, if Thomas Edison ushered in the era of electricity in 1882, with the first thermoelectric power stations built in New York, the first documents about the beginnings of Romania's electrification appeared in the same year. In 1893 the Timisoara Electric Power Plant was first used in the country, and in 1884, Timisoara became the first city in Europe with an electric street lighting system.

If, in the beginning, the education and research in the field of electricity was provided by physicists and electricians, the electrical power gradually became an independent specialization. As far as  Politehnica University Timisoara is concerned, since its inception in 1920, it started with a specialization in the field of electrotechnics. In 1925, the Electricity Department was established under the direction of Plautius Andronescu, and in 1920 the first electricity laboratory was set up, Politehnica being a real road opener in this field. Following the reform of 1948, Politehnica has 4 faculties, including Electrotechnics. In 1959, the Electroenergetics specialization was established. In 2005, following UPT's alignment to the Bologna system, the field of study became Electroenergetic Systems Engineering, and afterwards the Masters of Electro-energetic Systems Control and Ph.D. in Energy Engineering appeared, over 30 theses being held in the last 10 years in Timisoara.

 
Centenarul energeticii românești la UPT
Centenarul energeticii românești la UPT
Centenarul energeticii românești la UPT
 
 
 
 
 UPT Central library The Department of Communication and Image
 
© Copyright 2021 Universitatea Politehnica Timisoara. All rights reserved
UPT on Facebook UPT on Twitter UPT on Google +